THAILAND: ThaiNamthip signs JV to open Coca-Cola Co bottling plant in Laos - report
The Vientiane plant will distribute Coca-Cola products
Coca-Cola Co Thai bottler ThaiNamthip has formed a JV with a Laos construction company and will open a bottling and distribution plant in the Laotian capital.
The Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has US$40m in funds for the first five years and will increase Coca-Cola's footprint in Laos, the company said yesterday (29 November). As part of the deal, Lao Coca-Cola Bottling Co has started distribution in Laos with Coca-Cola products supplied by ThaiNamthip’s plants in Thailand, it said.
ThaiNamthip will own 70% of the new venture and partner PT Construction Co will own 30%, the company said. The planned bottling facility in Vientiane, which will make Coca-Cola products including brand Coca-Cola, Fanta and Sprite, will open in 2014 and employ about 70 people.
Last month, the World Trade Organisation accepted Laos' application to join and the country is expected to become a member early next year.
Coca-Cola is increasing its presence in other Asian regions. In June, the company announced a return to Myanmar following the lifting of US sanctions.
Soft drinks are becoming a target for health campaigners in the same way as tobacco and alcohol are. Increased taxes are now a real threat. But, as Richard Corbett argues, if producers move swiftly th...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer