INDIA: ThaiBev silent on United Spirits talks
ThaiBev has declined to comment on reports out of India that the firm has entered negotiations with Vijay Mallya's United Spirits.
ThaiBev has expressed its interest in buying a stake in United Spirits and has begun preliminary talks with the group, India's Economic Times newspaper said this week.
The Thailand-based drinks group, which owns Chang beer, said today (4 March) that it does not comment on speculation and "will announce any material development on the SGX [Singapore stock exchange] first".
Mallya was reported as saying last week, however, that the group has several potential suitors.
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh said at the drinks giant's first half results conference last month that talks with United Spirits remained "very preliminary".
just-drinks understands that one of the main sticking points in negotiations is the amount of control Diageo would be allowed to have in any stake sale.
Yesterday (27 August), Diageo reported its full-year results. Although the company managed to hit its full-year guidance, the group's warning that this year will be tough suggests that Diageo has its ...
Read our list of high-profile consumer boycotts, in our weekly just the facts....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The long-running discussions between the world's largest spirits maker, Diageo, and India's United Spirits over a possible stake purchase collapsed this week. Michelle Russell examines the fallout....
The head of Diageo has warned that the offer of public funding alone will not be enough to reverse the company's decision to cut a net 500 jobs in Scotland....
Global drinks giant Diageo has appointed ex-co CEO of Kraft Foods Betsy Holden to its board....
Diageo has warned of a tough 2010 after cost savings helped the drinks giant to hit guidance in its fiscal full-year, despite flat like-for-like sales and a fall in pre-tax profits....
Opponents to Diageo's plan to cut 10% of its workforce in Scotland have agreed on an alternative business proposal to present to the company, the Scottish Government has said....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends