LIWF 2012 - UK: Tetra Pak unveils 75cl wine cartons
Tetra Pak said its wine cartons will save money
Tetra Pak has launched what it claims is the first 75cl wine carton for the UK market.
The cartons, unveiled today (22 May) at the London International Wine Fair in partnership with Greencroft Bottling Company, will help cut packaging and logistical costs and reduce environmental impact compared to glass, the company said.
“The materials are much lower cost and the final product is extremely space-efficient, meaning more products can be merchandised on-shelf, maximising return per square foot of selling space,” said Greencroft's MD, Mark Satchwell.
“Cartons also provide strong on-shelf appeal which helps to present clear brand and tier-differentiation. While branding on bottles is usually limited to two labels, Tetra Pak cartons offer a 100% printing surface area, meaning multiple branding opportunities for customers.”
Wine is already available in cartons in the UK, but only in 25cl or 1-litre boxes, a spokesperson for Tetra Pak told just-drinks.
Recent consumer analysis undertaken by Wine Intelligence found that the general likelihood of consumers to purchase wine in cartons rose from 40% to 66% as a result of consumers seeing, feeling and experiencing wine packaged in the 75cl cartons, she said.
The cartons will be made at Greencroft's site in County Durham in Northern Ireland using Tetra Pak's newly-installed Prisma line.
“Using cartons really benefits the environment as well as the wine industry,” said Tetra Pak UK retail manager Ian Williamson.
“Not only are our cartons widely recyclable, they are lightweight and space efficient but 1m litres of wine packed in Tetra Prisma Aseptic 75cl cartons can save up to 436 tonnes of packaging versus standard glass bottles.”
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research