Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Capri Sun
Suntory acquired the Lucozade and Ribena brands in 2013
The UK soft drinks arm of Suntory has responded to the withdrawal of the ready-to-drink format of its Ribena brand in cartons from UK supermarket chain Tesco by releasing a no-added-sugar variant in the pack size.
Earlier this week, Tesco confirmed that it is pulling all children's juice drinks that are not no-added sugar variants. The move, which takes effect from September, affects the original versions of Lucozade Ribena Suntory's Ribena, AG Barr's Rubicon and Wild's Capri Sun, in smaller cartons and pouches.
"We want to help our customers make healthier choices and that’s why we have pledged to continue to cut sugar from the food and drink on our shelves," a Tesco spokesperson said today. "We know (this withdrawal) will make a positive difference to children’s health."
When contacted by just-drinks, a spokesperson for Lucozade Ribena Suntory said: "To ensure that Ribena is available to consumers on the kids’ fixture at Tesco, we will have No Added Sugar flavours available in multipack cartons. We will continue to provide original Ribena in other formats including squash and 50cl ready-to-drink bottles at Tesco and in all formats at other outlets.
"We take consumer calorie consumption seriously," the spokesperson continued. "Ribena Original ready-to-drink flavours now contain 5% less calories and sugars, we offer light and no added sugar variants across all formats and we continue to inform consumers about the right drink, at the right time, for the right occasion."
The full-sugar versions of all three brands will still be available in larger pack formats.
Lucozade Ribena Suntory is likely to continue to commit major advertising investment for its core brands Ribena and Lucozade....
Suntory and Asahi have settled a dispute over intellectual property rights for non-alcoholic beer, according to a report....
Suntory Beverage & Food aims to increase its net sales to ¥2 trillion by 2020....
Despite a decline in volume in 2012, Japan's packaged water market saw a five-year CAGR between 2010 and 2015 of 5.75%....
Lucozade Ribena Suntory's UK unit has rolled out the next phase of a marketing campaign for its Ribena brand. ...
The local soft drinks industry in China defines water-like refreshing drinks with added juice concentrates or flavour sweeteners as refreshing drinks....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends