UK: Tesco hits back at distillers in spirits price war
UK supermarket chain Tesco has accused some of the country's biggest spirits firms of "ripping off consumers", while defending its decision to import cheap whisky and rum from continental Europe, instead of buying direct from the UK-based companies.A Tesco spokesperson today confirmed that a special grey-market team of buyers was operating in Europe, buying and importing in unmarked lorries cases of The Famous Grouse and Teachers whisky and Bacardi rum.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Focus - SABMiller's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman