UK: Tesco hits back at distillers in spirits price war
UK supermarket chain Tesco has accused some of the country's biggest spirits firms of "ripping off consumers", while defending its decision to import cheap whisky and rum from continental Europe, instead of buying direct from the UK-based companies.A Tesco spokesperson today confirmed that a special grey-market team of buyers was operating in Europe, buying and importing in unmarked lorries cases of The Famous Grouse and Teachers whisky and Bacardi rum.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014