UK: Tesco hits back at distillers in spirits price war
UK supermarket chain Tesco has accused some of the country's biggest spirits firms of "ripping off consumers", while defending its decision to import cheap whisky and rum from continental Europe, instead of buying direct from the UK-based companies.A Tesco spokesperson today confirmed that a special grey-market team of buyers was operating in Europe, buying and importing in unmarked lorries cases of The Famous Grouse and Teachers whisky and Bacardi rum.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- just The Preview - Carlsberg's Q2 & H1
- just The Preview - Heineken's H1 & Q2
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat