UK: TESCO, First To Take The "Absinthe Experience"
Supermarket giant TESCO is the first to make an assault on the style market with the cult drink Absinthe, aimed at the young affluent image conscious.Absinthe, much maligned in the past, now has the fastest growing popularity of any specialised spirit in the UK. Once history's most notorious liquor, equally accredited with influencing both madman and genius, its reputation is founded on the wormwood-fuelled inspiration of many "creatives" such as Oscar Wilde, Baudelaire, van Gogh, Manet, Toulouse Lautrec and Picasso as well as fuelling the murderess intentions of Lanfray, who perpetrated the infamous "Absinthe Murder" of 1905. Indeed even the genius element was prone to erratic behaviour, as it is said that van Gogh loped off his ear whilst under the influence of Absinthe. Today's Absinth by Sebor, is a refined and distinctive drink, and still includes the authentic ingredient wormwood, the herb that creates the chemical "thujone" which is attributed to giving the "Absinthe experience" to its luminaries all those years ago. Absinthe carries a lot of favour with the young style conscious, as well as the well heeled, who would have enjoyed their youth in the 60's.The Absinthe market's premier brand "Sebor Absinth" (without the "e" as spelt in the country of origin) is taking the spirit market by storm, Sebor's M.D. Simon O'Neill says, " I don't believe that we could have this much success with any other product, I think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that we have seized, and it has turned into a roller-coaster ride to success."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends