MEXICO: Tequila production up, exports down
Tequila production in January leapt by 18% year-on-year, according to figures released over the weekend. The amount of Tequila exported in January, however, fell by 8.3% year-on-year, to 7.7m litres.
The president of the national chamber of the tequila industry CNIT, Eduardo Orendain, who announced the figures, also predicted a recovery and consolidation of the Tequila industry in Mexico this year.
In January, Orendain said that Tequila prices should fall by 25% year-on-year in 2004. Orendain credited the potential fall to the decrease in prices of agave, the main material for Tequila production, and its greater availability on the market. Agave has been in short supply in the past two years, leading to an increase in prices and a decrease in consumption and production.
Mexico's production of Tequila fell last year to 140m litres from 191m litres in 1999, as the price of agave soared to 16 pesos per kilogram. Prices in 2004 are expected to be between 3 pesos and 5 pesos.
Tequila production has fallen steadily in the last four years, while Mexico's 2003 Tequila consumption fell by 27% year-on-year.
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Government inspectors carrying out checks on bars, restaurants and nightclubs in the greater Athens area have found that 100% of samples of rum and tequila had been adulterated....
Spanish brewer Estrella Galicia is to invest €30m between 2006-08 to grow its domestic wine and water businesses, a company spokeswoman confirmed to just-drinks....
Mexico, the US and Canada will sign an accord aimed at boosting the quality of Tequila-based produced outside Mexico, a spokeswoman for supplier's lobby Consejo Regulador del Tequila (CRT) confirmed t...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research