POLAND: Tender for Wyborowa distillery starts today
Bids for at least 51% of the Polmos Poznan distillery, maker of the international Wyborowa brand, have begun today, according to the Polish Treasury. Bidders will be shortlisted by 22 September."The number of bidders allowed to carry due diligence will depend on the quality of the initial bids," said a Treasury official. After binding offers are submitted the ministry will grant exclusive negotiating rights to one or more of the bidders.Among those expected to submit bids are Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and a joint bid from Eckes and Swedish monopoly Vin&Sprit.The bidding has commenced while international rights for the Wyborowa brand are still in dispute, making the distilleries value hard to judge. Originally held by Agros, which is controlled by French company Pernod Ricard, the international rights were confiscated by the State with the view to giving them back to Polmos Poznan.Worries that this was illegal and would deter other foreign investors in Poland prompted the Polish President to intervene. He ruled that the issue warranted further investigation and the dispute now lies with Poland's Constitutional Court.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign