GLOBAL: Tempranillo fastest-growing grape variety - study
The global vineyard space fell 6% in the decade
Tempranillo is the world's fastest-growing grape variety by hectares planted, but Cabernet Sauvignon is now the most cultivated ahead of Airén, according to a new report.
The study, compiled by Adelaide University's Wine Economics Research Centre, found that Tempranillo trebled its share of hectares under vine from 2000 to 2010 to 140,000 hectares, taking fourth spot in terms of overall share. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot more than doubled their share in the period, to take them from eighth and seventh to first and second, respectively.
Syrah jumped from 35th to become the sixth most planted grape globally, the study showed.
Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir almost moved into the top ten in the decade, while Airén slid from first to third.
The study also found that the total global vineyard area fell by around 6% in the ten years, on top of an 8% fall in the 1990s. This came despite increases of around 30% in the US and Georgia, 40% in Czech and 220% in New Zealand in the most recent decade.
The biggest falls were in Spain (13%) and Portugal (20%).
The overall share of red varieties in the global winegrape area rose from 49% to 55% in the decade to 2010, the study showed.
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- This week in spirits & wine
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts