CHINA: Tea remains favorite among commercial beverages in China, but beer, bottled water and soft drinks advance
The market for commercial beverages in China realized decisive gains in the last decade, reports the first study of that gigantic market published by Beverage Marketing Corporation, the leading information and consulting resource for the worldwide beverage industry. The Multiple Beverage Market in China, 2000 edition, opens with an overview of the market as a whole, followed by a detailed analysis of each of the major beverage categories. "With the development of China's economy and the improvement of Chinese people's living standard," it declares, "consumption of commercial liquid beverages grew quickly throughout the 1990s, and the makeup of the typical beverage menu has changed significantly."The specification of commercial beverages relates to the fact, noted in the study, that more than 90% of the fluid the Chinese people drink is still non-commercial water. However, average annual per capita consumption of commercial beverages has been increasing steadily, passing 64 liters, or nearly 17 gallons, in 1999, it reports, and total volume of these beverages exceeded 800 million hectoliters, equal to more than 21 billion gallons.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review