GERMANY: Tchibo abandons US expansion - report
German conglomerate Tchibo Holding has abandoned plans to enter the US and instead wants to expand in the UK and Poland, according to local reports.
Tchibo, the world´s fifth-largest coffee producer and the market leader for roasted coffee in Germany, has stopped test marketing in the US after delivery and management problems, German daily Die Welt reported.
Sources told the newspaper that the retailer wants to expand in the UK by securing a listing at supermarket giant Sainsbury's. Tchibo already sells coffee at Somerfield outlets.
In addition, Tchibo wants to open up to 60 of its own retail outlets in the UK by the end of next year.
Tchibo also wants to expand in Poland, where it already operates 20 retail stores, the report added.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report