SOUTH AFRICA: Tax on liquor could benefit crime victims
In an extensive 250-page discussion paper the South African Law Commission has linked alcohol to many of the serious crimes plaguing the country.
The commission looked at various models to raise funds from around the world, but queried whether they could be applied to South Africa.
The project team put forward its own suggestion linking alcohol and firearms to violent crime.
The links between the consumption of alcohol and the prevalence of violent crime in SA are well supported by data, and, as such, it might be reasonably argued that the consumers of alcohol ought to provide funds for the compensation of victims.
Research by the Commission estimated that alcohol would generate R3,5bn in this financial year. If taxes were raised by 10% in order to fund a VCS, about R350 million could be generated. It also accepted that such taxes could either discourage demand or encourage tax avoidance, reducing the amount of revenue generated.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research