UK: Tata Global Beverages eyes larger Activate stake
Tata Global Beverages purchased a minority stake in Activate in October last year
Tata Global Beverages has said that it will look to increase its stake in Activate, but not purchase it outright.
The UK division of Tata Global Beverages purchased a minority stake in the US performance beverage firm in October last year. No financial details of the transaction were disclosed, but the company has the option to increase its stake during the 12 months following the deal.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks last month, Tata Global Beverages' chief executive, Peter Unsworth, confirmed that the firm had purchased a share of less than 50% in Activate and that it would consider increasing this further.
However, he added: "With a lot of these things there is a balance. For example, particularly small businesses that are growing very quickly, one of the things you want in these businesses is to retain the motivation of the original founders and owners and to allow them to grow with what they have created.
"I have no ambitions to absolutely own a business," Unsworth said, "particularly these small dynamic businesses. Let's keep founders with the business and we will grow with them."
To read just-drinks' exclusive interview with Unsworth, click here.
- CCA - Coca-Cola's Canary in the Mine
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q4 & FY
- Comment - Hybrid Spirits: Innovation or Laziness?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory
- Brown-Forman unveils Jack Daniel's UK push
- Champagne will not regain lost ground until 2018
- Bacardi announces CFO switch