UK: Tata Global Beverages eyes larger Activate stake
Tata Global Beverages purchased a minority stake in Activate in October last year
Tata Global Beverages has said that it will look to increase its stake in Activate, but not purchase it outright.
The UK division of Tata Global Beverages purchased a minority stake in the US performance beverage firm in October last year. No financial details of the transaction were disclosed, but the company has the option to increase its stake during the 12 months following the deal.
Speaking exclusively to just-drinks last month, Tata Global Beverages' chief executive, Peter Unsworth, confirmed that the firm had purchased a share of less than 50% in Activate and that it would consider increasing this further.
However, he added: "With a lot of these things there is a balance. For example, particularly small businesses that are growing very quickly, one of the things you want in these businesses is to retain the motivation of the original founders and owners and to allow them to grow with what they have created.
"I have no ambitions to absolutely own a business," Unsworth said, "particularly these small dynamic businesses. Let's keep founders with the business and we will grow with them."
To read just-drinks' exclusive interview with Unsworth, click here.
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends