UK: Takeover Panel gives Carlsberg, Heineken S&N deadline
The independent body has ruled today (17 December) that the two European brewers have until midday on 21 January to make a firm offer for S&N. Carlsberg and Heineken have seen two proposed offers for the UK-based company dismissed, each on the same days that they were issued.
"Each of the parties has accepted this ruling," the Takeover Panel said.
"We welcome the introduction of a timetable," said Carlsberg and Heineken. "It will focus all parties on the merits of our proposal and consequences of S&N shareholders missing out on a value creating transaction.
"We urge S&N to open talks with us as soon as possible."
S&N added: "It is in the interests of the company and its shareholders that this long period of uncertainty is brought to an end."
The two brewer's latest offer, of GBP7.50 per share, was described by S&N as "wholly inadequate", who has applied to an arbitral tribunal in Sweden over its claims for total ownership of Baltic Beverages Holding - its Eastern European joint venture with Carlsberg.
The tribunal, which will consider whether Carlsberg has breached a shareholder agreement in looking to buy S&N, is set to issue a ruling in June.
A difference of opinion between Heineken-APB (China) and Nantong Fuhao Alcohol Industry (NAC) has resulted in the company selling its stake in Jiangsu DaFuHao Breweries to Nantong....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Julian Cohen to the position of vice president of marketplace insights....
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
Dr Pepper Snapple Group has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter since separating from Cadbury Schweppes....
Beam Global UK is introducing a range of 100% agave Tequilas under the Hornitos banner, as part of the group's GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) investment in the UK Tequila category this year....
Britvic has introduced Pepsi Xtra Cold to the UK on-trade as a way of enabling draught cola to be served "extra cold"....
United Spirits is looking to launch a locally-produced version of Whyte & Mackay whisky in India later this year....
This year's London International Wine Fair & Distil received a record number of visitors, according to figures released this week....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Why Millennials are driving premium wine demand
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Piper-Heidsieck agrees three-year Oscars tie-up
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets