UK: Takeover Panel gives Carlsberg, Heineken S&N deadline
The independent body has ruled today (17 December) that the two European brewers have until midday on 21 January to make a firm offer for S&N. Carlsberg and Heineken have seen two proposed offers for the UK-based company dismissed, each on the same days that they were issued.
"Each of the parties has accepted this ruling," the Takeover Panel said.
"We welcome the introduction of a timetable," said Carlsberg and Heineken. "It will focus all parties on the merits of our proposal and consequences of S&N shareholders missing out on a value creating transaction.
"We urge S&N to open talks with us as soon as possible."
S&N added: "It is in the interests of the company and its shareholders that this long period of uncertainty is brought to an end."
The two brewer's latest offer, of GBP7.50 per share, was described by S&N as "wholly inadequate", who has applied to an arbitral tribunal in Sweden over its claims for total ownership of Baltic Beverages Holding - its Eastern European joint venture with Carlsberg.
The tribunal, which will consider whether Carlsberg has breached a shareholder agreement in looking to buy S&N, is set to issue a ruling in June.
A difference of opinion between Heineken-APB (China) and Nantong Fuhao Alcohol Industry (NAC) has resulted in the company selling its stake in Jiangsu DaFuHao Breweries to Nantong....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Julian Cohen to the position of vice president of marketplace insights....
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
Dr Pepper Snapple Group has posted a lift in sales and profits for its first quarter since separating from Cadbury Schweppes....
Beam Global UK is introducing a range of 100% agave Tequilas under the Hornitos banner, as part of the group's GBP650,000 (US$1.3m) investment in the UK Tequila category this year....
Britvic has introduced Pepsi Xtra Cold to the UK on-trade as a way of enabling draught cola to be served "extra cold"....
United Spirits is looking to launch a locally-produced version of Whyte & Mackay whisky in India later this year....
This year's London International Wine Fair & Distil received a record number of visitors, according to figures released this week....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Sustainability in Wine - Part II
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Coca-Cola Co promotes CEO's assistant to sales job
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018