SWEDEN: Systembolaget sees sales head south in January – figures
Systembolaget has posted a slight fall in January sales.
The Swedish state-owned alcohol retail monopoly said late last week that sales for the month fell by 3.2% on January 2007, down to 2.7m litres when measured in pure alcohol volume.
The slide registered across all major categories, with spirits leading the way, down 4.9% to 1.3m litres. Wine and strong beer decreased, by 3.4% to 10.9m litres and by 1.3% to 12.9m litres respectively. Cider followed suit, falling 3.8% on the previous year to 0.9m litres.
Systembolaget saw sales for the month decrease across the country, most markedly in the northern county of Vasterbotten, Stockholm and on the island of Gotland.
Speaking to local press, company CEO Anitra Steen said the decrease was in line with the general decline across Sweden's retail sector.
In 2007, total sales at the retailer were up by 5.4% on 2006, coming in at 40.5m litres.
Last week, the UK government published a consultation document which many believe to be the prelude to tighter legislation on alcoholic drinks. In this month's Just the Answer interview, Jeremy Beadle...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
The Wirtz Beverage Group has appointed a leadership team for its national portfolio of wine, spirit and beer distributorships....
Central European Distribution Corporation has posted a healthy lift in both sales and profits for the first half of this year....
Spain will dethrone France as the world's leading wine producer by 2015, according to a study French social research body, CREDOC (Centre de Recherche pour l'Etude et l'Observation des Conditions de V...
The Castel Group, France's leading wine producer, is to open the first phase of its new bottling plant, which the company claims will be Europe's biggest, next month....
Vinmonopolet has posted a slight lift in sales for the first six months of this year....
Independent Brewers United has extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Pyramid Breweries by 48 hours....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends