SWEDEN: Systembolaget sales rise in year so far - figures
Systembolaget has posted a lift in sales for the first eight months of this year.
The Swedish alcohol retail monopoly said yesterday (13 September) that sales in pure alcohol terms between January and August increased by 5% on the corresponding period a year earlier, hitting 26.9m litres.
While beer and wine sales were up by 5.5%, spirits sales increased by 2%. Sales of mixed drinks and cider slipped in the period, however, by 2%.
Local reports this week cited the Swedish Centre for Social Research on Alcohol and Drugs as claiming the rise in Systembolaget's sales was due more to Swedes buying less of their alcohol abroad, rather than increased alcohol consumption in the country.
The binge-drinking debate is once again grabbing the headlines in the UK, as supermarket chains look to react to widespread criticism over the discounting of alcohol. Chris Losh believes the drinks in...
Anheuser Busch has responded to recent legal threats from an activist group in the US over its caffeinated alcoholic drinks, suggesting the group is simply interested in generating publicity....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium has announced two appointments to its global travel retail team in the Nordic region....
Alko has reported a slight lift in sales at its alcohol retail stores in Finland last year....
Around the clock drinking laws will continue in the UK, but with the added crackdown on sales of alcohol to underage drinkers, a government review has decided....
Anheuser-Busch and Miller Brewing Co. are set to be sued by an activist group in the US over their caffeinated alcoholic drinks....
Thai Beverage (ThaiBev) has said it is looking at opportunities within the non-alcoholic drinks sector as a way to "exploit" its distribution network in Thailand....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review