SWEDEN: Systembolaget sales pick up in July
Systembolaget has posted a rise in sales measured in pure alcohol for last month. The state-run alcohol retailing monopoly said late last week that sales for July were up by 5.5% year-on-year.
Chief executive Anitra Steen credited the overall rise to lower cross-border alcohol purchases and the fine weather in the first half of the month.
As a breakdown, Systembolaget saw sales of spirits drop by 1.6% against the same month a year earlier, while wine dipped by 6%. Strong beer sales were up, however, by 8.5% with cider following suit at 10.6%. Mixed drinks (up 12.9%) and alcohol-free beverages (up 25.2%) also performed strongly in July.
Geographically, sales increased most significantly in the southern counties of Skane, Blekinge and Halland. Only Gotland and Dalarna counties registered falls in sales.
For the calendar year so far, sales measured in pure alcohol in Systembolaget are up slightly by 2.2% year-on-year.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014