SWEDEN: Systembolaget sales fall again
Alcohol sales at Systembolaget fell last month by 1.3% year-on-year. The Swedish state-owned alcohol retailing monopoly has blamed the decrease on higher alcohol excise duties in its home country compared to neighbouring Denmark and Finland.
Spirits sales fell by 8.6% in March, while sales of cider dropped by 13.1%. Wine sales rose by 1.9%, although sales of strong beer, the only type of beer sold in Systembolaget stores, fell by 1.6%.
Sales fell in Vastra Gotland and Varmland counties, close to the Norwegian border, while sales in Norrbotten county, near the border with Finland, also dipped.
In October last year, Denmark cut its alcohol tax by 47%. Finland followed suit, cutting tax on alcohol by 40% at the beginning of last month. Both countries decided on the move pending the imminent accession of Poland and the Baltic states to the EU. The former Eastern Bloc countries all have lower alcohol prices than Scandinavia.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research