SWEDEN: Systembolaget predicts 2004 dip
Systembolaget expects its sales for this year to fall, thanks to Sweden's neighbouring countries. The state-owned alcohol retailing monopoly said yesterday that it believes sales in 2004 will decrease by 3% year-on-year.
The company said that the expected fall is due to higher alcohol excise duties in Sweden compared to Denmark and Finland. Figures released throughout this year have shown sales decrease at Systembolaget stores in Sweden's border areas as customers make cross-border shopping trips to buy their alcohol. The company expects this kind of shopping trip to increase further after the Baltic countries accede to the EU this Saturday (1 May).
In the autumn of 2003, Systembolaget called for a reduction of alcohol taxes in Sweden to counter cross-border trade.
In March this year, sales at the retailer fell by 1.3% year-on-year.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research