EU: Syrian trade deal to be approved
European Union (EU) ministers have been asked by the European Commission to approve a trade deal struck with Syria. The deal would slash duties on drinks traded between the EU and the country.
Large EU duty free quotas would be opened for 40,000 litres of vermouth and other flavoured aromatic wines, 100,000 litres for Syrian exports of mineral and bottled waters and 20,000 litres for soft drinks.
Outside these quotas, EU duties on Syrian exports would be phased-out over 12 years on a variety of drinks including rum, taffia, Vermouth, bottled and flavoured water and soft-drinks.
In return, Syria would cut import duties by 40% on 50,000 litres of EU soft drinks and 300,000 litres of bottled water. It would phase out all duties on alcoholic aromatic bitters over three years, arrack over six years, beer, brandies, whisky, rum, taffia, gin, vodka, liqueurs, cordials, cherry spirit, calvados, Tequila, Vermouth and other flavoured wines, and mineral/bottled waters over 12 years.
Pernod Ricard's £7.4 billion takeover of Allied Domecq is the biggest drinks deal since the Seagram sell-off, in which it also played a part, and means the acquisitive French conglomerate will double ...
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
German spirits group Borco has struck a distribution deal in India for its Sierra Tequila brand....
The US and Mexico have struck an agreement on Tequila allowing US distributors to import the spirit in bulk and bottle it north of the border....
Blavod Extreme Spirits is in talks to expand distribution of El Diamante del Cielo Tequila in the US....
Hayman Distillers has unveiled the first phase of its relaunch for the Scorpion Tequila brand with new packaging for the Gold and Silver variants in the range. ...
Hayman Distillers is launching a sampling campaign for its gin liqueur, Hayman's 1820....
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research