CHINA: Swellfun confirms Diageo talks
Chinese spirits group Sichuan Swellfun Co. has said it is not in sale talks with Diageo - but said it was in talks with the company on "business co-operation".
According to a statement on the Shanghai Stock Exchange, Swellfun "has been in touch with several international liquor companies, including Diageo, on business cooperation, such as helping us sell products overseas".
Swellfun released the statement after reports claimed that Diageo was in advanced talks to buy the company.
Swellfun added: "We haven't reached any agreement yet and haven't been in talks on an acquisition."
A Diageo spokesperson refused to comment on Swellfun's statement.
However, the UK drinks giant is looking at bolstering its presence in China after watching arch-rival Pernod Ricard gain a march with its stable of premium spirits, including Chivas Regal Scotch Whisky and Martell Cognac.
Just-drinks understands that Diageo has held low-level talks with a number of domestic Chinese spirits groups on the prospect of possible co-operation, though nothing concrete has been finalised at this stage.
Bacardi has been engaged in a legal battle with Pernod Ricard over the rights to the Havana Club trademark for years. But Patience Gould believes the US-based spirits giant is shooting itself in the f...
The head of Pernod Ricard has hinted at a possible successor when he retires from the position next year....
Diageo has secured an "arms-length investment partnership" with a cocktail mixer company in the US....
Jameson has launched a travel retail advertising campaign across Europe....
Diageo is extending its Johnnie Walker whisky portfolio, with a launch into the ultra deluxe segment in Europe and the Americas....
Diageo is hoping to draw a better consumer understanding of where its Smirnoff vodka brand comes from. The company, which unveiled a multi-platform global campaign for the vodka yesterday (9 April), i...
Pernod Ricard has lined up a fresh advertising campaign for Stolichnaya in the US....
Diageo is preparing a multi-platform global campaign for its Smirnoff vodka brand....
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Cognac needs innovation at bottom end - Pernod
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World