SWEDEN: Swedish government contacts V&S bidders - report
The Swedish government has begun the auction process for state-owned Vin & Sprit by contacting a wealth of interested bidders.
Reports late last week have claimed that the country's financial markets minister, Mats Odell, has sent over 30 letters to companies that the Government believes would be interested in acquiring V&S, which owns the Absolut vodka brand.
"On Tuesday morning a number of letters, more than 30, were sent to those who had notified us of their interest already, as well as others which Morgan Stanley had identified as potential participants," Odell was cited as saying on Friday (14 December).
Earlier this month, the Swedish government unveiled plans to sell V&S by auction at some point next year. "It will be the one who pays the highest price and the one who after a full assessment shows that it offers the best (deal) for the Swedish households," Odell said last week, adding that V&S would be sold whole and not broken up. As well as Absolut, V&S also owns, among others, the Luksusowa vodka brand in Poland and Cruzan rum.
No-one at the Swedish finance ministry was immediately available for comment when contacted by just-drinks today.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Brown-Forman has posted record sales for its fiscal year, driven by a strong performance in its international markets....
The US Federal Trade Commission has finally given Diageo the green light to push through its partnership with the Nolet family and the Ketel One vodka brand....
Kentucky-based Heaven Hill Distilleries has re-opened its newly expanded Bernheim Distillery....
Russian Standard Vodka has entered into a partnership with Cirrus Airlines, one of Germany's largest independent regional airlines....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
The prospective head of Pernod Ricard has warned that there could be a reduction in the number of flavoured editions of the Absolut vodka brand going forward....
Blavod Extreme Spirits has secured the intellectual property rights for the Blackwood's gin and vodka brands....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- Diageo silent on United Spirits inspection
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review