SWEDEN: Sweden looks to up alcohol sales spread
The ongoing Swedish government review into modernising the country's alcohol sales legislation has produced a proposal to permit Sweden's 1,000 co-operative and farm-run stores to sell alcohol on a restricted basis.
"Sweden does need to modernise its alcohol laws," Public Health Minister Maria Larsson said today (18 September). "We are looking at a large number of options. We are looking at allowing the sale of some alcohol products in restaurants and cafes that serve cold foods. The investigation will also look at possibly allowing the sale of alcohol in co-op stores nationwide."
The minister said that there were anomalies in the law where alcohol could be sold in restaurants serving hot foods but not in specialist restaurants, such as those serving sushi.
The Public Health Ministry intends to appoint a committee of inquiry, which will bring forward proposals for reform, in October.
The steep rise in alcohol duties announced in yesterday's Budget, which the Government says will help to tackle binge drinking, follows the publication of its review of the 2005 Licensing Act last wee...
Taxes on alcohol in the UK have been raised markedly in today's (12 March) Budget announcement....
The Boston Beer Company has posted a strong set of results for the end of the year, with net profit almost trebling in the final quarter....
Anheuser-Busch is looking to "decomoditise" its Budweiser brand in the UK with a new campaign for the beer....
An attack on RTDs by a political party has been dismissed by an alcohol trade body in the UK....
Anheuser Busch has responded to recent legal threats from an activist group in the US over its caffeinated alcoholic drinks, suggesting the group is simply interested in generating publicity....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Maxxium has announced two appointments to its global travel retail team in the Nordic region....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends