NEW ZEALAND: SWA wins legal appeal over 'whisky-like' drink
The SWA has been successful it its appeal
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has won the latest round of a long-running trademark dispute involving a whisky-like drink that claims to "evoke the flavour of the Highlands".
A High Court judge ruled this week that New Zealand off-licence chain The Mill Liquor Save should not have the trademark for its MacGowans brand – a 13.9% abv whisky-flavoured spirit – registered.
The SWA had an appeal turned down earlier this year by the assistant commissioner of trademarks in the country, three years after The Mill registered the brand. But, last month, the group had a fresh legal appeal heard in Wellington's High Court.
In the ruling, the judge, Justice Kos, reportedly questioned whether MacGowans should be even be recognised as a spirit. "Quite what sort of beverage this is was never entirely clear ... it has a dark-tan colour reminiscent of whisky," Justice Kos was quoted as saying. "At the very least, a product incapable of being labelled 'spirits' cannot be treated as spirits."
A spokesperson for the SWA told just-drinks: “We opposed an application to register this trademark. Registration has been refused by the court, but we cannot say anything further while the period for appeals is still open.”
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
The European trade organisation for spirits has said that it will appeal the legal ruling handed down this morning in favour of minimum unit pricing in Scotland....
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets