UK: SWA warns of minimum price impact after distillery shake-up
The whisky industry will feel the effects of a minimum price, the SWA has warned
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has claimed that a cost-cutting exercise by a distiller in the country is "hard evidence" that the industry will be hit by minimum pricing.
The trade body spoke out after it was reported that Loch Lomond Distillery has allegedly "ripped up the contracts of about half its staff" and transferred 16 posts to a job agency to cut costs. The company said that the situation would get worse with the introduction of minimum pricing next year, it was reported.
"This news shows the unfortunate impact minimum unit pricing (MUP) of alcohol is having on just one company," said Gavin Hewitt, the SWA's chief executive.
"It provides hard evidence to undermine the claim repeatedly made by Scottish Ministers that, as a premium product, Scotch Whisky won’t be affected by MUP."
A minimum price of GBP0.50 per unit is expected to be introduced by April next year in Scotland. The SWA predicts around 25-30% of annual Scotch whisky sales in Scotland could be hit.
However, the Scottish government rejected the idea the industry will be affected. A government spokesperson told just-drinks there was "no evidence of a connection between any job losses and the introduction of minimum pricing".
"In addition to saving lives and reducing harm, minimum pricing is predicted to reduce costs to the health, social care and criminal justice services and contribute to an increase in the productive capacity of the Scottish economy as a whole,” the spokesperson added.
Nobody from Loch Lomond Distillery was available for comment.
This month, Ian Buxton takes a look at an idea that, should it come to fruition, will send shockwaves through the Scotch whisky industry. In Scotland, he notes, there seems to be water, water everywhe...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets