UK: SWA wants EU to intervene on Indian tax row
Just weeks after India lifted its long-term ban on the import of bottled spirits (April 1st) the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is urging the European Commission (EU) to meet with Indian officials after it identified at least five breaches of World Trade Organisation (WTO) agreements. Under its WTO commitments, the Indian government should reduce the tariff on spirits from 222% to 198% by July. But the SWA claims that so far, there has been no indication that this will happen. And in a statement it said that the government has instead slapped an additional duty on imported spirits, which will increase the total fiscal burden to a massive 706% on less expensive spirits and 464% on more expensive brands.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends