UK/INDIA: SWA urges action as EU mulls WTO push
The Scotch whisky industry has reiterated its desire for India to cut its tariffs on imported spirits as the EU mulls whether to turn up the heat on the Indian government.
The EU's Agriculture Commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel has said the European Commission may decide to press ahead with its threats to take India to a WTO arbitration panel for its refusal to cut duty levels.
Last week, India refused to back down in the row when it unveiled its annual Budget. India has been criticised for its "discriminatory" tariff regime that can see a bottle of Scotch hit with a tax of up to 550%.
Brussels has threatened to push for WTO arbitration if India fails to meet the EU's demands for a fairer tax structure, while the US and Australia have also asked for the WTO to intervene on the issue.
Yesterday (5 March), Fischer Boel said she was "desperately sorry and disappointed" not to see India cut its tax levels. "We are considering a possibility of raising dispute settlement at the WTO," she told reporters after meeting India's Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar.
A spokesman for the Scotch Whisky Association told just-drinks today that distillers would "welcome" a referral of India to the WTO. He said: "The time for tariff and tax reform in India is long overdue."
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
It is the results season, so attention is focused on the major public drinks corporations as they give their shareholders the good or bad news. But Patience Gould believes that in an industry where ta...
Diageo has posted a lift in operating profit, despite only a minor rise in sales for its latest fiscal year....
Bacardi has disclosed plans to close its rum distillery in the Bahamas due to changes in trade agreements and competition....
Leading figures in the Scotch whisky industry are to form a pan-industry working party to investigate the question of image and innovation in Scotch. The debate will be led by the World Whisky Confere...
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) has unveiled a revamp of its Glenmorangie single malt Scotch whisky range....
Inver House Distillers has appointed a new agency to manage a global marketing campaign for its single malt Scotch whisky brand Balblair Highland....
The European Spirits Organisation - CEPS is set to target Turkey's trade barriers going forward....
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends