UK/CANADA: SWA launches appeal in Canada row
The Scotch Whisky Association has launched a fresh appeal to stop a Canadian distiller using the word "Glen" on one of its whiskies.
An SWA spokesman said: "The SWA is concerned that the use of the Scottish word 'Glen', widely used on Scotch Whisky, for whisky not produced in Scotland is causing confusion and misleading consumers, whilst unfairly trading on Scotch Whisky's international reputation.
"It is not co-incidental that the Glen Breton product has regularly been found mis-described as Scotch."
The spokesman added: "Like Scotland, Canada shares a number of geographic names with other countries. The towns of Maple Leaf, Toronto and Ontario can all, for example, be found in the US. Following the logic of Glenora's argument, these would all be legitimate names for US rye whiskey. We do not accept that argument and believe the use of such names on US whiskies would be deceptive."
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
It is the results season, so attention is focused on the major public drinks corporations as they give their shareholders the good or bad news. But Patience Gould believes that in an industry where ta...
Diageo has posted a lift in operating profit, despite only a minor rise in sales for its latest fiscal year....
Bacardi has disclosed plans to close its rum distillery in the Bahamas due to changes in trade agreements and competition....
Leading figures in the Scotch whisky industry are to form a pan-industry working party to investigate the question of image and innovation in Scotch. The debate will be led by the World Whisky Confere...
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) has unveiled a revamp of its Glenmorangie single malt Scotch whisky range....
Inver House Distillers has appointed a new agency to manage a global marketing campaign for its single malt Scotch whisky brand Balblair Highland....
Bacardi has trumpeted its US$250m cash injection into Dewar's Scotch whisky as one of its largest single brand investments in its history....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages