UK/CANADA: SWA launches appeal in Canada row
The Scotch Whisky Association has launched a fresh appeal to stop a Canadian distiller using the word "Glen" on one of its whiskies.
An SWA spokesman said: "The SWA is concerned that the use of the Scottish word 'Glen', widely used on Scotch Whisky, for whisky not produced in Scotland is causing confusion and misleading consumers, whilst unfairly trading on Scotch Whisky's international reputation.
"It is not co-incidental that the Glen Breton product has regularly been found mis-described as Scotch."
The spokesman added: "Like Scotland, Canada shares a number of geographic names with other countries. The towns of Maple Leaf, Toronto and Ontario can all, for example, be found in the US. Following the logic of Glenora's argument, these would all be legitimate names for US rye whiskey. We do not accept that argument and believe the use of such names on US whiskies would be deceptive."
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
It is the results season, so attention is focused on the major public drinks corporations as they give their shareholders the good or bad news. But Patience Gould believes that in an industry where ta...
Diageo has posted a lift in operating profit, despite only a minor rise in sales for its latest fiscal year....
Bacardi has disclosed plans to close its rum distillery in the Bahamas due to changes in trade agreements and competition....
Leading figures in the Scotch whisky industry are to form a pan-industry working party to investigate the question of image and innovation in Scotch. The debate will be led by the World Whisky Confere...
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) has unveiled a revamp of its Glenmorangie single malt Scotch whisky range....
Inver House Distillers has appointed a new agency to manage a global marketing campaign for its single malt Scotch whisky brand Balblair Highland....
Bacardi has trumpeted its US$250m cash injection into Dewar's Scotch whisky as one of its largest single brand investments in its history....
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts