UK: SWA hoping to “work closely” with UB Group
The association said that the acquisition, announced earlier today, highlights the "global appeal" of Scotch, and that "international confidence in the Scotch whisky industry's future prospects is strong".
A spokesperson for the SWA said: "We look forward to working closely with Whyte & Mackay's new owners on matters of mutual interest to protect and promote Scotch whisky in India and other international markets to the benefit of all Scotch whisky distillers."
When contacted by just-drinks, the spokesperson highlighted the tariff and tax regimes in India as areas of mutual interest which the organisation hopes to cover with UB. The association is also looking forward to discussing SWA membership with the company in the future, the spokesperson added.
The SWA has campaigned heavily in the past over what it feels are excessive import tariffs for spirits in India. A bottle of imported Scotch in India can be hit with a tax of up to 550% under the Indian tax regime.
Persuading shareholders to back investment in the wine business can be a tricky challenge but AXA Millesimes has shown that if the business model is right, shareholders will embrace the idea. In this ...
Beam's acquisition of Teacher's and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
Bacardi is looking to focus on the premium status of its Dewar's Scotch whisky portfolio, with the opening of a new facility in Scotland....
Bacardi has finalised a deal to buy a plot of land in Scotland as part of its expansion plans for the Dewar's Scotch whisky portfolio....
The Edrington Group has lined up a pre-Christmas television advertising campaign across the UK for its Scotch brand The Famous Grouse....
Ian Macleod Distillers has appointed a new director of travel retail....
Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) has launched a new Glenmorangie single malt Scotch whisky range specifically targeted at India's growing affluent younger consumers....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has launched a new single malt Scotch whisky on the UK market....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US