EUROPE: SWA chief exec to head up European Spirits Organisation (CEPS)
Gavin Hewiitt started as president of The European Spirits Organisation (CEPS) this week
The European Spirits Organisation (CEPS) has confirmed a change of president, with the chief executive of the Scotch Whisky Association assuming the role.
The trade body announced earlier today (23 November) that Gavin Hewitt has been elected to the post. Hewitt, who has headed up the SWA since 2003, has begun with CEPS today. He replaces James Cockeram, the MD of Moët Hennessy Europe, who has completed his two-year tenure with CEPS.
“It is an honour to be recognised by my peers in this way,” said Hewitt, who will continue to work for the SWA. “My main objective will be to drive home to the European institutions the economic importance of the spirits sector and to secure recognition that it is living up to the high standards of responsibility that it has set itself.”
As the representative body for Europe's spirits industry, CEPS' membership comprises 30 national associations representing the industry in 26 countries, as well as a group of spirits producers.
The recent release of export numbers for Scotch whisky appeared to be cause to celebrate for the category. But, as Ian Buxton warns, the devil is in the detail....
The head of the Confederation of Indian Alcoholic Beverage Companies (CIABC) has warned that the thorny issue of imported alcohol duty is no nearer to being resolved....
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review