UK: SWA attacks bid for extra tax on Scotch whisky
The proposal for an extra tax on Scotch has been criticised by the SWA
The Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) has branded a proposal to bring in an extra tax on the drink as “ludicrous”.
A so-called “tartan tax” would bring in an extra GBP1bn (US$1.6bn) for the Scottish Government, according to two senior advisers to the ruling Scottish National Party. One of the advisers, Sir George Mathewson, was reported as saying: “I don’t believe it [the industry] would be substantially harmed and I believe that the success could be spread around a little more.”
However, Gavin Hewitt, the SWA's chief executive, said: “It is a ludicrous suggestion that Scotch Whisky, one of Scotland’s few economic success stories, should be burdened with additional taxation.”
He said that any new tax would be passed on to consumers, thereby cutting demand, stifling growth and new capital investment in Scotland.
Figures released last week showed that the country's whisky industry generates annual export sales in the region of GBP4bn (US$6.5bn).
Hewitt added: “Why would a government looking for export-led recovery penalise Scotch Whisky, its biggest export? It shows economic naiveté about the industry.”
The headlines today (3 May) may suggest that minimum unit pricing is on its way in Scotland. But, for those in our industry who oppose the proposal, there's no need to panic yet. There's still a way t...
In the second part of this analysis of the European Union's review of its strategy to combat alcohol harm across the region, EurActiv details the issues that have to be considered....
The third and final part of EurActiv's analysis of the European Union's alcohol harm reduction strategy focuses on the different positions being taken on different issues in different regions....
The European trade organisation for spirits has said that it will appeal the legal ruling handed down this morning in favour of minimum unit pricing in Scotland....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research