US: Sutter Home eyes low carb craze
The US winemaker Sutter Home is looking into launching a super-low carb wine, in response to the current trend for low carbohydrate eating, which has been fuelled by the likes of the Atkins Diet.
"The family is evaluating super-low carb wine as something that may satisfy a consumer niche. But they will move forward only if the quality of the wine experience matches that delivered by our current wines," said Wendy Nyberg, senior director of marketing for Sutter Home Family Vineyards.
With beverages from cola to beer to vodka jumping on the low carb bandwagon, the company said it wanted adult consumers to consider wine as a low carb choice anyway.
"Many people are unaware that most dry wines are naturally low in carbohydrates. Sutter Home Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Syrah, Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon each contain less than seven grams of carbohydrates per five ounce serving. These wines can be labeled low carb according to the recent nutritional guidelines established by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax Trade Bureau (TTB)," said Nyberg.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research