SPAIN: Supreme Court to hear Bacardi Havana Club appeal
The appeal will be the latest stage in Bacardi's battle to gain trademark rights to Havana Club in Spain.
Bacardi holds the Havana Club trademark in the three countries - Croatia, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan - plus the all-important US market.
It has long claimed that the Havana Club brand and associated assets were illegally confiscated from its original owners - the Arechabala family - by the Cuban Government during the revolution in the country. The company acquired the recipe and Havana Club brand name from the Arechabalas in 1994.
In Spain in 1999, Bacardi and the Arechabala family sued Havana Club Holding, the venture between Pernod and Cuban Government-controlled Cubaexport. It also jointly sued the Republic of Cuba, Havana Rum and Liquors and Cubaexport.
Bacardi unsuccessfully asked Spain's Court of First Instance to annul transferral of the trademark rights from the Arechabala family to Havana Club Holding.
Most recently in the Havana Club dispute, the US District Court for Columbia dismissed a challenge by Pernod and Cubaexport to Bacardi's Havana Club rights in the US.
The one consistent prediction coming from everyone's crystal ball is that 2010 is going to be a tough year for the global wine industry. Chris Losh, however, believes that the next 12 months will stil...
Jack Daniel's whiskey owner Brown-Forman lifted its full-year profits guidance on Tuesday (8 December), exceeding expectations and moving analysts to raise their fair value estimate on the firm. Miche...
Growth in both the global spirits and wine categories is expected to slow markedly in the five years to 2013, according to new research....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Reports of 2009....
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Interviews of 2009....
As the decade draws to a close and just-drinks reflects on its first ten years of publication, our editorial team picks the ten stories that defined the noughties for the drinks industry and shaped ou...
Bacardi Brown-Forman has unveiled a global print campaign for its Bombay Sapphire gin brand....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends