SPAIN: Super premium spirits growth - research
Super premium spirits rose in Spain in 2007, despite an overall decline in the country's spirits consumption during the year, new research shows.
Consumption of so-called super premium products grew in all major spirits categories in 2007, suggesting a trend towards trading up, according to The IWSR's Spain report.
Super premium gin, priced at circa EUR30 per bottle, sold an estimated 15,000 cases in 2007, from virtually nothing three years ago. Led by Hendricks, London Gin, Tanqueray Ten and Citadelle are also present in the market.
Super-premium vodka, led by Grey Goose and Belvedere, remains smaller at less than 10,000 cases.
Aged golden rums sell more than 40,000 cases annually, the report said. The brands of Matusalem, Brugal Siglo de Oro, Barcelo Imperial, Santa Teresa 1796 and aged Flor de Caña and Zacapa Centenario rums are all boosting sales, it added.
The report also noted a developing ultra premium rum segment for aged golden rum, typically selling for more than EUR80 and including Brugal Siglo de Oro, Zacapa Centenario XO and Flor de Caña 21 years.
Super-premium and ultra-premium Scotch whisky are comparatively small in Spain at circa 6,000 cases, as the vast majority of Scotch is consumed mixed with Coca-Cola, the report said. Nonetheless, sales are increasing both in terms of volume and market share.
It remains to be seen whether the current trend towards super premium spirits can be maintained in the face of a global economic downturn, unprecedented in the post-World War Two era.
Already a growth spirits category, the rum sector is unquestionably made all the more interesting for the presence of Havana Club. In this month's just the answer, Olly Wehring spoke with Marc Beuve-M...
Yesterday (1 April) signalled both an end and a beginning for Maxxium, the global sales and distribution joint venture created by Beam Global Spirits & Wine, The Edrington Group and Remy Cointreau in ...
Increased investment by multinationals is transforming the rum sector which, according to a new report from just-drinks and IWSR, could be the next "hot" international spirits category. Ben Cooper rep...
Pernod Ricard has lined up a flavour extension to its Malibu rum brand in the US....
Burn Stewart Distillers has secured a sales and distribution agreement in the UK with J. Wray & Nephew for the 'modern' on-trade....
Pernod Ricard is to launch UK gin brand Beefeater 24 into the US market this spring....
Champagne and Cognac group Rémy Cointreau has joined the growing list of drinks companies decrying de-stocking by wholesalers, after seeing sales slip by 11.6% for its fiscal full-year....
Gin producer G&J Greenall has appointed Christian Rose as its new managing director....
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets