JAPAN: Suntory to roll out own brands in new markets after GSK deal
Suntory Food & Beverage has no presence in Nigeria
Suntory has no plans to launch potential new acquisitions Ribena and Lucozade in Japan but will use them to expand its existing portfolio in the UK, Nigeria and Malaysia, the company said today (9 September).
The three countries are core markets for the GlazoSmithKline (GSK) brands, which Suntory Food & Beverage has agreed to buy for GBP1.35bn (US$2.11bn), it was announced today. The Japanese soft drinks unit has almost no presence in the regions, but in a presentation after today's announcement said it will “gain opportunities” there through the “cross-launch” of Suntory brands.
“The addition of the sales network associated with these two global brands will give us a platform in countries where GSK already operates,” the company said.
Meanwhile, a Suntory Food & Beverage spokesperson told just-drinks the company, a division of Suntory Holdings, has “no plans to sell Lucozade and Ribena in other new markets, including Japan, at the present moment”.
The UK accounted for 77% of Ribena and Lucozades sales volumes last year, according to Euromonitor figues cited by Suntory Food & Beverage.
Lucozade is the top-selling product by volume in the UK energy drinks category while Ribena is the fourth-biggest selling product in the fruit juice & concentrated fruit juice category by volume. Suntory distributes its Orangina brand in the UK through an agreement with AG Barr.
The spokesperson confirmed the company has no presence in Nigeria, while in Malaysia it owns food company Cerebos Pacific.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
Suntory Holdings Ltd in Soft Drinks (Japan)
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...read more
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future