JAPAN: Suntory takes number three spot at Sapporo's expense
The news came as the Brewery Association of Japan revealed the fourth consecutive month of decline for beer shipments in Japan. Shipments of beer in Japan fell 11.5% in June compared to the same month last year.
Shipments from the country's five largest brewers fell to 96,063 kilolitres in the month, the Brewery Association of Japan said.
However, in the first half of the year, Suntory saw its total shipment of beer and beer-like beverages rise by 10.8% from the same period last year, to 28.14 million cases. The sales accounted for 13% of the Japanese beer market.
By comparison, Sapporo's total shipments dropped by 12.4%, to 26.16m cases, 12.1% of the market.
Cadbury officially put its Australian soft drinks business up for sale this week following a strategic review of the business....
Australia's drinks industry could be facing a few seismic shifts over the next few months....
Asahi Breweries has lined up the acquisition of Cadbury's soft drinks business in Australia....
Canada's third largest brewer, Sleeman Breweries, is suing British Columbian microbrewer Dead Frog Brewery, accusing it of infringing the Sleeman trademark with its clear bottle design....
Morrison Bowmore has lined up a limited edition expression of its Bowmore single malt Scotch....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has confirmed that it is switching importers for its Guinness, Kilkenny and Smirnoff Ice brands in Japan....
Coca-Cola Amatil has rejected a near A$8bn bid from fellow Australian beverage group Lion Nathan, following opposition to the deal from The Coca-Cola Company....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India