JAPAN: Suntory swaps Brown-Forman for Beam Inc
It's a case of musical chairs for Beam Inc and Brown-Forman in Japan
The Japanese company said earlier today (19 September) that it will begin distributing Jim Beam and Maker's Mark in the country from 4 January. The two brands, which had previously been handled by Asahi, join the rest of Beam's brands at Suntory, as the US company looks to consolidate its footprint in Japan.
The news coincided with a statement from Brown-Forman, also issued today, saying that it will move its Japanese distribution in the other direction, from Suntory to Asahi Group, from 1 January.
Brown-Forman said that the move follows an announcement by Suntory that stated that the two companies are “concluding their more than 40-year business relationship at the conclusion of the current contract” at the end of this year.
“Our Jack Daniel’s and Early Times brands are two of the largest selling international whiskey brands in Japan,” said Mark McCallum, chief operating officer for Brown-Forman. “In partnership with Asahi, we see significant growth potential for these brands as well as the rest of our strong brand portfolio.”
Brown-Forman has a relationship with Asahi in Australia, where the Japanese firm owns the Schweppes Company that serves as co-packer for the Brown-Forman's RTD brands.
Suntory is set to launch “a total of 26 items from 10 brands” in Japan on 4 January. Only Beam and Maker's Mark were named, however.
To read Brown-Forman's statement, click here.
To read Suntory's statement, click here.
What do Bacardi, Diageo and Pernod Ricard have in common? Aside from the obvious, Ian Buxton proffers that they share the same problem when it comes to Bourbon, and that's their lack of it....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report