JAPAN: Suntory snaps up half of Mozart Distillerie
Suntory has moved to acquire a 50% stake in Austrian premium spirits producer Mozart Distillerie.
The Japanese company confirmed today (12 June) that it has agreed to buy the stake for an undisclosed amount.
The two companies said that their priority going forward is to increase the presence of the Mozart brand in the global market, particularly in Korea, China, Australia and Russia.
"The tie-up represents both the wishes of Suntory, which is looking to build premium brands in the alcoholic beverages market and expand global sales, and Mozart Distillerie, which is aiming for further business growth," Suntory said.
Suntory has handled the Japanese importation and marketing for Mozart's namesake chocolate liqueur since 1990.
Last month, Suntory was reported to be considering investing up to JPY6bn (US$58m) to expand production and sales of health supplements in South East Asia. The company is setting its sights primarily on South East Asia in a bid to boost overseas sales of health supplements by nearly 70% to JPY50bn by 2010.
Vijay Mallya's UB Group is becoming an increasingly important player in the international drinks business, and the airlines to whisky billionaire is no stranger to being a big player. In the first in...
Australia's drinks industry could be facing a few seismic shifts over the next few months....
Morrison Bowmore has lined up a limited edition expression of its Bowmore single malt Scotch....
Coca-Cola Amatil has rejected a near A$8bn bid from fellow Australian beverage group Lion Nathan, following opposition to the deal from The Coca-Cola Company....
Danone has agreed a deal to sell its Frucor Australasian drinks division to Japan's Suntory for more than EUR600m, the group has announced....
Diageo is one of several multinational drinks firms interested in purchasing a stake in Indian group United Spirits, just-drinks understands....
Starbucks has extended its partnership with Suntory in the Japanese RTD coffee market....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report