JAPAN/INDIA: Suntory Holdings silent on Radico Khaitan stake reports
Suntory's soft-drinks unit held an IPO this year
India's Economic Times, citing investment bankers close to the transaction, reported this morning that Suntory is expected to pay INR8.7bn (US$130.9m) for the part-share. The deal is likely to include a provision to buy a further 23% stake at a later date, the report suggested.
The Khaitan family could retain a stake in the distillery business and provide outsourcing support to Suntory, it was reported.
A spokesperson for the Japanese group told just-drinks today (3 September) it does not comment on media speculation.
Nobody from Radico Khaitan was available for comment.
In 2009, Radico reportedly wanted to sell a 26% stake in the company, with Suntory mentioned as a possible suitor. In 2011, the two companies signed a distribution and marketing deal to launch Suntory's Yamazaki 12 Year Old and Hibiki 17 Year Old whiskies in India.
Suntory last month boosted its acquisition funds after its food & soft-drinks unit was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The IPO raised US$3.9bn, and company executives have said the money will be used for strategic investments at home and abroad. Suntory's alcohol unit was not included in the stock market floatation.
Just before January is out, Ian Buxton is here for his first comment piece of 2014, and he's keen to consider what the fist big M&A transacion of the year will mean in the Scotch whisky industry....
The company’s strategy is to build its portfolio of brands focusing on brand image rather than price points and using the best state-of-the-art technology to ensure competitive leadership. Established...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
Sales of alcoholic drinks in India grew by 9% in volume terms in 2012. Key drivers of growth were single malt Scotch whisky, brandy, fortified wine and domestic premium lager. In value terms, total sa...
Beam Inc is planning to expand its Maker's Mark distillery with a US$67m investment to meet demand for the Bourbon. ...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Bottled Water market to grow at a CAGR of 5.4 percent over the period 2012-2016. The population is increasing in many countries and this is one of the key fact...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research