JAPAN: Suntory Holdings in talks to buy Orangina - report
Japan's Suntory Holdings is in talks to acquire the Orangina drinks brand from private equity groups Lion Capital and Blackstone, according to reports.
Suntory may pay more than US$2.6bn to acquire Orangina, the Wall Street Journal reported earlier today, citing sources familiar with the matter.
Suntory could not be reached to comment on the matter.
Blackstone and Lion Capital acquired Orangina following a deal to buy the European beverages arm of Cadbury Schweppes in 2005 for EUR1.85bn (US$2.17bn).
Analysts said at the time that the private equity firms would likely not keep the business for the long-term and may work on an exit strategy of around five years.
Suntory is already in merger talks with Japanese rival Kirin Holdings.
Coca-Cola France president Christian Polge has been elected head of French soft drinks trade body, the Syndicat National des Boissons Rafraîchissantes (SNBR)....
Kirin Holdings has blamed unfavourable currency rates and a weakened Japanese economy for a fall in sales and profits in 2009....
Japanese drinks group Kirin Holdings has appointed a new president and CEO as it looks to push on with plans to drive earnings, despite a breakdown in merger talks with Suntory....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research