JAPAN: Suntory Holdings eyes alcohol-free beer sales in 2014 plan
Suntory Holdings has released a strategy outlook
Suntory Holdings is to target non-alcoholic beer sales in Japan this year, as it seeks continued momentum across its domestic alcohol businesses.
In a broad-ranging strategy outlook for 2014, released today (9 January), the Japanese group predicted a 15% sales jump in Japan for its All-Free brand, a non-alcoholic “beer-type beverage” that will undergo a relaunch this year. The push aims to help Suntory increase its beer business sales this year by 4% despite an expected 1% drop in the overall Japanese beer market.
The company hopes to increase its alcoholic beer sales by 3% in 2014.
According to today's strategy report, Suntory hit record high beer sales in Japan last year, up by 3% against an overall 1% drop in the market.
Suntory's wine business also found growth in 2013, up by 4% in sales. The group said it expects an 8% increase in sales this year, driven by domestic labels such as Sankaboshizai Mutenka no Oishii, an antioxidant, additive-free wine that posted a 39% sales increase last year to break 1m cases for the first time.
In liqueurs and spirits, Suntory predicts a 56% sales increase in its ready-to-serve business after its Funwari Kyogetsu and Cocktail Tours brands enjoyed “such favourable growth (last year) that we upwardly revised our annual plan”.
Looking abroad, Suntory said it will strengthen its marketing campaigns, and in Europe and the US focus on premium whiskey brands Yamazaki, Hakushu, and Hibiki.
Suntory's soft drinks division, Suntory Beverage & Food, last year raised close to US$4bn in Japan's biggest IPO of 2013. The unit later purchased GlaxoSmithKline's Ribena and Lucozade brands, a deal that was completed today.
Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2013, with the aim of financing its global M&A. The company acquired two brands Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline in Septem...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces written by our regular columnists on j...
Suntory made a significant move in 2013 with the acquisition of Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline. This has boosted its presence in sports and energy drinks in Western Europe. However, the bran...
Whiskey is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage usually made from fermented grain mash such as barley, corn (maize), rye, and wheat....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends