JAPAN: Suntory Food & Beverage reveals M&A break - report
Suntory Food & Beverage raised US$3.9bn in an IPO in October
Suntory Food & Beverage is to hold off on acquisitions for the next year, its CEO has said in an interview.
Chief executive and president Nobuhiro Torii told Bloomberg the listed Suntory unit, which in September struck a deal to buy the Lucozade and Ribena brands from GlaxoSmithKline, will focus on existing operations. Torii also said he wants to integrate past deals.
Speaking about acquisitions, Torii said today (6 December): “I don’t think we have enough capacity or ability to pursue another opportunity at this point. At least I have to take a break for 12 months. If we deliver the plan in the next year, then our financial capability will grow.”
Suntory Food & Beverage raised US$3.9bn in an IPO in October. The company, which is the soft drinks and food unit of Suntory Holdings, had said it will use part of the money to buy overseas targets.
Torii also said Suntory Food & Beverage must stabilise its business and strengthen existing operations ahead of a sales tax increase in Japan in April. Torii said the increase, from 5% to 8% will intensify competition in the country.
Suntory Holdings Ltd in Alcoholic Drinks (Japan)
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...read more
Suntory Holdings aims to reinforce its core business, carry out internal synergies in the Suntory Group, and develop new businesses. In order to achieve this, the company targets further cultivation o...
Mergers and acquisitions have to varying degrees been important in shaping the different alcoholic drinks categories....
The acquisition of Lucozade and Ribena and the acquisition of US-based spirits producer Beam Inc showed that Suntory is keen to grow value sales and obtain immediate access to developed markets. Its e...
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
This profile brings together all of just-drinks' coverage of the major developments in Suntory's acquisition of Beam. Spanning a four month period since the beginning of the year the profile looks at ...
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future