UK/JAPAN: Suntory dismisses Whyte & Mackay bid rumours
Suntory has denied it is making a move for Whyte & Mackay
Suntory has denied it is bidding to acquire Scotch whisky producer Whyte & Mackay.
India's CNBC-TV 18 reported yesterday (20 January) that the Japanese firm has made an offer of just below US$1bn for the entire Whyte & Mackay business. However, a Suntory spokesperson has denied the company is in talks to acquire the Glasgow-based group.
"We have never negotiated on the acquisition of Whyte and Mackay and also we don’t have a plan to acquire it," the Suntory spokesperson told just-drinks.
Whyte & Mackay is effectively controlled by Diageo, which is the largest shareholder in its parent company United Spirits. The Smirnoff producer has offered to sell off the “bulk” of Whyte & Mackay to satisfy the UK's Office of Fair Trading.
Yesterday Diageo declined to comment on rumours that Suntory had bid for Whyte & Mackay.
just-drinks understands that the bid process for Whyte & Mackay’s assets is at the early stages and formal bids are not currently being considered.
Seperately, last week Suntory said it had agreed a deal to acquire Beam Inc for $16bn.
*This story was updated on 22 January after Suntory responded to a request for comment
Canadean's "Suntory Holdings Limited: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
Suntory’s surprise takeover of Beam in April 2014 has created the world’s sixth biggest spirits company. Although not currently showing in Euromonitor International data, this profile will look at Sun...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research