JAPAN: Suntory confirms shake-up, plans "aggressive" M&A
Suntory will target M&A with its new structure
Suntory Holdings has confirmed plans for a major shake-up, including a raft of new executive appointments and a more “aggressive” M&A strategy.
In a statement today (18 December), the Osaka-headquartered group said it will strengthen its corporate planning and admin system by setting up a strategy planning and finance division for its beverage and food division. A separate new strategy development department will also promote the group's M&A strategy “more aggressively”, it said.
The statement did not refer to plans to raise up to US$6bn by selling shares in its beverage and food division, as reported last week. The group did not deny the plans, but said nothing is confirmed.
The company said today it will also look to speed up the development of its drinks and food business in the Middle East, Africa and Latin America, by placing this part of the business under the control of its international division.
Suntory also announced the retirement of eight executives, as well as new appointments and job roles in its beverage and food division, and its liquor unit.
The changes will take effect on 1 January.
According to a press report earlier this month, Suntory held talks with Diageo about a possible takeover of Beam Inc this summer. Both Diageo and Beam declined to comment on the reports, when contacted by just-drinks.
A study, conducted by brand valuation agency Brand Finance, has ranked the world's biggest drinks brands by their value. We've compiled the top 20 into a table below:...
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research