UK: Suntory Beverage & Food to buy Lucozade, Ribena for GBP1.35bn
Suntory's soft drinks & food unit is to buy the GSK brands
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has agreed to sell its Lucozade and Ribena brands to Suntory Beverage & Food for GBP1.35bn (US$2.11bn).
The cash deal is expected to be completed by the end of the year subject to regulatory approval, GSK said today (9 September). It includes GSK’s Coleford manufacturing site in the UK and “the vast majority of employees at the site”, GSK said.
In Nigeria, GSK will continue to manufacture and distribute Lucozade and Ribena under licence from Suntory Beverage & Food.
Funds from the sale will be used to reduce debt and for “general corporate purposes”, GSK said.
David Redfern, GSK's chief strategy officer, said: “Lucozade and Ribena are iconic brands that have made a huge contribution to GSK over the years, but now is the right time to sell them as we increase the focus of our consumer healthcare business.”
The news follows a report on Thursday of an impending deal with the Suntory Holdings unit that would pre-empt an expected auction for the brands later this month. On Friday, Suntory Beverage & Food told just-drinks it held an interest in the brands but denied it had reached an agreement to buy them.
The unit has been seen as a potential buyer of Ribena and Lucozade since GSK put them up for sale earlier this year. The likelihood increased after the soft drinks & food division raised US$3.9bn in an IPO last month and said it intended to spend some of the money on overseas acquisitions.
To read a comment on this story, click here.
Just before January is out, Ian Buxton is here for his first comment piece of 2014, and he's keen to consider what the fist big M&A transacion of the year will mean in the Scotch whisky industry....
Suntory Holdings Ltd aims to reinforce its position by strengthening its marketing and promotional campaigns that can offer new value and new ways for consumers to enjoy alcoholic drinks, and also by ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research