JAPAN: Suntory Beverage & Food holds "interest" in Ribena, Lucozade
Lucozade was put up for sale this year alongside Ribena
Suntory Beverage & Food has said it is interested in Ribena and Lucozade but denied that it has agreed with GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) to buy the for-sale UK brands.
Sky News reported yesterday (5 September) that Suntory Beverage & Food is holding “secret talks” with GSK over a GBP1bn (US$1.56bn) sale. The report, citing people close to the talks, said a deal could be reached in the next few days and pre-empt an auction for the brands due to be held later this month.
A spokesperson for Suntory Beverage & Food told just-drinks today (6 September) there is currently no agreement with GSK over the two brands. However, the spokesperson added that the unit does hold an interest in them because “they could help grow our company”.
“We have a small interest because it is a very good opportunity,” the spokesperson said.
GSK refused to comment on the report.
Suntory has been seen as a potential buyer of Ribena and Lucozade since GSK put them up for sale earlier this year. Irn Bru owner AG Barr, which saw its proposed merger with Britvic collapse in July, is also reported to be a possible bidder.
Suntory Beverage & Food, which is a subsidiary of Suntory Holdings, has boosted its acquisition funds after its listing on the Tokyo Stock Exchange last month. The IPO raised US$3.9bn, and company executives have said the money will be used for strategic investments at home and abroad.
Just before January is out, Ian Buxton is here for his first comment piece of 2014, and he's keen to consider what the fist big M&A transacion of the year will mean in the Scotch whisky industry....
Beam Inc is planning to expand its Maker's Mark distillery with a US$67m investment to meet demand for the Bourbon. ...
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Europe's drinks companies start engines on CETA
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends