US/JAPAN: Suntory agrees US$16bn deal to acquire Beam Inc
Beam Inc is set to be acquired by Suntory Holdings
Japan's Suntory Holdings has agreed to acquire US-based spirits firm Beam Inc for US$16bn.
The deal, which will create the world's third biggest premium spirits player, is expected to close by the second quarter of this year pending regulatory and Beam stockholder approval, the companies announced today (13 January). Beam's management team will remain in place and the company stay headquartered in Chicago.
Matt Shattock, Beam's president & CEO said: “Our combined global routes to market will expand our joint distribution footprint, and the powerful innovation capabilities both companies have developed will be a significant advantage.”
Beam owns the Jim Beam, Maker’s Mark and Knob Creek Bourbon brands as well as Teacher’s and Laphroaig Scotch whiskies, Courvoisier Cognac and Sauza Tequila. Suntory's spirits business includes Japanese whiskies Yamazaki, Hakushu, Hibiki and Kakubin alongside Bowmore Scotch whisky and Midori liqueur.
Nobutada Saji, president & chairman of Suntory’s Board, said: "We are particularly excited about the prospect of working more closely with Beam’s excellent management and employees who will play an integral part in the growth of the business.”
The two companies already operate a partnership through which Suntory distributes Beam products in Japan and Beam distributes Suntory products in Singapore and other Asian markets.
Suntory today said it will pay for the transaction, which about equals 20 times Beam’s current annual EBITDA, with cash at hand and financing from its bank.
Suntory Holdings' soft drinks unit last year completed its GBP1.35bn (US$2.1bn) purchase of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade using money raised in an IPO. The share launch was Japan's biggest of 2013 and raised about US$4bn for Suntory Food & Beverage.
To read just-drinks' managing editor's view on the deal, click here
To read exclusive analysis, click here
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research