UK: Sun Mark to appeal Red Bull trademark win
Red Bull said it was "satisfied" with the court's decision
An independent drinks company that lost a court battle with Red Bull GMBH over a trademark infringement has said it will appeal.
UK-based Sun Mark confirmed to just-drinks late yesterday it will fight Tuesday's (17 July) decision that its Bullet energy drink breached copyright on Red Bull's Bullit brand. The London High Court also said Bullet's slogan “No bull in this can” took unfair advantage of Red Bull's trademark.
Sun Mark declined to comment further, saying it did not want to prejudice future proceedings. In court, its lawyers had claimed Red Bull's Bullit trademark was registered in bad faith as the company had no plans to use it. Red Bull confirmed that the judge dismissed the claim.
Red Bull said it is “satisfied” with the judgement on Sun Mark and associated shipping firm Sea Air & Land Forwarding.
“Red Bull believes strongly in its IP rights and makes legitimate use of them in order to protect its brand value and to safeguard the company's assets,” the Austrian company said.
Food and drinks maker Sun Mark, set up in 1995, also manufactures Royalty Non-Alcoholic Ginger Beer and Robust energy drink.
As we welcome in the new year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2013 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
Richard Corbett is keen to kick off the end-of-year review season. In this month's column, he looks back at the new product development arena in soft drinks in Europe....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits