UK: Summit promotes minimum pricing for alcohol
A leading world health consultant has backed the Scottish Government's proposal to set a minimum price on alcoholic drinks.
Dr Peter Anderson, who advises both the European Commission and the World Health Organisation, spoke of his support for minimum pricing at a summit on alcohol consumption hosted by Scotland's ruling National Party yesterday (22 June).
"You had the courage to introduce smoke free pubs; let us hope that you have the same courage to introduce a minimum price for alcohol," said Anderson at the event, held in Edinburgh.
His words will add to growing concern among some in the drinks industry that Governments around the world increasingly view price as a central factor in affecting alcohol consumption.
The Scottish National Party, which claims that alcohol abuse costs the country GBP2.25bn annually, has added minimum pricing to its Health Bill, set to be debated in Scotland's Parliament later this year.
However, the other major parties, Labour, Conservative or Liberal Democrat, have yet to come out in support of minimum pricing.
Not everyone in the industry is believed to oppose a base price for alcohol, just-drinks understands. Many in the on-trade are keen to see an end to cut-price drinks in retail.
Just-drinks has today (2 July) been in attendance at the Westminster Food & Nutrition Keynote Seminar on alcohol, held in London. The morning-long event has been looking at the issue of alcohol consum...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Comment Pieces of 2009....
Highland Park's The Earl Magnus Edition 1...
Blavod Wines & Spirits has reported strong sales growth in the first half of its fiscal year, but said profits were held back by a poor performance from its Black Vodka brand....
Ian Macleod Distillers has signed a deal for its Isle of Skye Scotch whisky to sponsor Scottish Racing....
Pernod Ricard's Chivas Regal 25 Year Old Scotch whisky has tightened its ties with the film world....
Diageo has launched a tool that allows consumers to match a single malt whisky to an individual taste....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine, the drinks arm of Fortune Brands, has appointed Mindy Mackenzie as senior vice president of human resources....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research